Course number and code:ENT101
Credit hours:1 hour
Contact hours:1 hour
This course aims to:
- Introduce the course’s content, syllabus, teaching strategies and assessment methods.
- Explain the concept of entrepreneurship and identify the characteristics of the entrepreneur's personality.
- Increase students’ knowledge of the importance of small and medium-sized enterprises and their role in the development of the national economy, and the difficulties such enterprises may encounter.
- Equip students with the necessary skills enabling them to generate distinct creative ideas.
- Introduce students to the entrepreneurship history in the Kingdom and its supporting role in the Kingdom’s 2030 Vision.
- Equip students with the marketing plan development skills and the method of preparing a marketing research for an entrepreneurship.
- Introduce students to the operational plan preparation skills, and the elements of the successful operational plan.
- Introduce students to the entrepreneurship financial plan preparation skills.
- Introduce students to the business model building skill and the work plan in the entrepreneurship.
- Identify the external business environment and its impact on all entrepreneurship
- Explain the effects of technology and electronic marketing on entrepreneurship.
- Provide students with the necessary skills to be able to present their entrepreneurial ideas to the supporting and funding entities
- Expand students’ knowledge and awareness of the programmes and tools supporting entrepreneurship in the Saudi economy and how to benefit from them.
|Unit 1: Introduction to Entrepreneurship|
Concept of Entrepreneurship
Entrepreneurship and Small & Medium-size Enterprises
Generating Ideas for Entrepreneurship
Generating entrepreneurial ideas
|The Kingdom and Entrepreneurship|
|Unit 2: Entrepreneurship Economic Feasibility Studies|
|Unit 3: Work plan and the entrepreneurship’s environment|
Preparing a Work plan and the Business Model
Entrepreneurship External Business Environment
Entrepreneurship Technological Environment
Supporting the Pioneering Enterprises in the Saudi Economy
The following table presents the time plan for implementing the course divided on weeks:
2. Student Assessment
Course assessment is as follows:
|Semester work||Midterm Exam||10 marks||5th – 6th week|
|Project preparation and presentation||25 marks||7th – 8th week|
|Participation and home assignments||15 marks||ongoing throughout the semester|
The exam covers all the course units and lectures. The test questions are multiple choice, and true or false questions.
|50 marks||9th – 10th week|
Description of the course semester work
First: Midterm exam
Third: Participation and home assignments
First: Midterm exam (10 marks)
The test is out of 10 marks and the questions are either written or multiple choice. The test covers the first unit which encompasses the first four sessions excluding the introductory lecture. The test is prepared based on the criteria set by the department.
Second: Project (25 marks)
In this project, students prepare an economic feasibility study for an idea of an entrepreneurial enterprise and do their best to make it a full-fledged enterprise that is qualified for the competition with the other enterprises on winning the opportunity of being nurtured by Khotwaa, a business accelerator at the Entrepreneurship Institute, King Saud University. The table below explains the implementation mechanism.
|Start of implementation||Task Description||Delivery Date & Project Presentation|
Proposing an entrepreneurial idea
|A group of six to eight students takes part in the project. Then it is uploaded to an electronic platform||week 7 – week 9|
Project mark breakdown
|Market and industry analysis|
|Target market segmentation|
(product, price, place, promotion)
|Planning capacity and sales forecast|
|Fixed and variable operating costs|
|Break – even point|
|Financing needed to start and continue the business|
|Body language use|
|Discussion & ability to persuade|
Third: Participation and home assignments
Each instructor registers the scores of students regarding their participation and interaction in the course lectures via the electronic platform. In addition, he has to record students’ grades for the tasks that have been assigned to them including the participation and the assignments according to the following implementation mechanisms and assessment criteria.
- Recording the degree of students’ participation and interaction in the course lectures
- Asking students to interact and perform the required tasks and activities
Grading and assessment criteria
|1||Observing student’s performance and his/her positive interaction in the synchronous lectures||4||15 marks|
|Participating in forums (minimum of 3 participations)||3|
|2||Uploading the project and the presentations to the electronic platform||2|
|3||Participating in all of the required activities in the training lectures (asynchronous)||6|