Course Basic Information
Course title: Computer Skills
Course code: CT101
Course pre-requisite(s): None
Course medium of instruction: English
Course level: 1st
Credit hours: 3 Hours
- Introduction to computing and its applications
- Data communication and backup
- Data visualization
- Algorithms and programming
- Information security
Course Main Goal
This course aims to provide students with the basic skills computer: its components, operating systems and its applications, communication backup and restore. It introduces the knowledge of data visualization, an introductory level of modern era programming including algorithms and information security.
Students will explore and become more familiar with:
- The concepts of Information & Communication Technology (ICT) and its applications.
- The operating systems such as Windows, Android, IOS, Linux, DOS and application software such as Word and Electronic Spreadsheets.
- The continuous exchange of data between any two parts of the world.
- Data visualization using different tools and applications.
- The general programming concepts and related problem-solving strategies.
- The design and development of applications using simple software/programming language.
- The basic principles of information security.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon the completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Understand the peripheral devices, computer system and the different types of software
- Use text processing tools and spreadsheet programs
- Understand data communication, the principles of computer networks and the various data storage units with backup and restore
- Visualize different types of data using appropriate tools
- Work independently as well as with a group to deliver effective and well- documented software solutions to the problems.
- Understand the concept of access control and cryptography and to practice important cryptographic mechanisms.
|Assessment components||Assessed course material||Chapter||Marks|
|Introduction to Computing and Its Applications||1||30|
|Data Communication and Backup||2|
|Algorithms and Programming||4|
|Classroom Activity||Practical Continuous Assessment (PCA)||10|
|Self-Learning Project||Self-Learning Project||10|
|Pass Percentage is 60% Overall|
Course Books and References
Course Study Plan
Queries and Complaints